Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Our miniature horse story

For many years I thought it would be so fun to have a miniature horse farm someday.  They just seemed so cute and the perfect size for kids!  But I figured it would probably be one of those dreams that would never come true, along with lots of other crazy ideas I've had!  But, a few years ago we had the opportunity to buy a miniature mare from the ranch where Andy was working.  We named her Star.

Star

The kids had lots of fun with her, and got bucked off a few times, but she calmed down eventually.  After having her for a year or so we thought it would be fun to see if she could have a foal, so we bought a miniature stallion, and named him Barnum.  He's a great horse, never bites or kicks, but he won't let anyone ride him.

Barnum and AJ

Well, this spring my dream came true.  One Sunday after church I went out to check on the horses because we knew that Star was going to foal anytime and there was little Trigger running around the pen, looking a little lost!  It has been so fun having such a little horse- she is very friendly and loves to be scratched and loves to follow us around the yard.  She just makes me smile every time I see her.

SJ and Trigger when Trigger was 1 day old

I don't know how many horses we'll end up with, you can only have so many, you know!  But they are fun and a good experience for the boys.

By the way, if you noticed, I put the boys' pictures up on the side bar and for privacy's sake we decided to just use their initials for their names, so that's what I'll call them on the blog from now on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...