Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Good Gifts


This year has been a difficult one for us in many ways.  Health issues for me, Andy starting a new business and all that means, switching from homeschooling to sending the kids to public school, and divisions at church have all taken turns weighing us down. 

You know, I think I would have probably given in to despair and discouragement if it hadn't been for my thankful list.  In the summer of 2011 I started writing down several things I was thankful for each day, numbering them in a notebook, and trying not to write the same thing twice.  I was inspired to do this by the book, One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp.  Actually writing down the gifts God sends our way each day really does change your perspective.  I notice His gifts more now than I would have before.

For example, see the road in the photo above?  The county is doing road construction on the paved road that we usually take to go places so instead we get to drive on this road- isn't it pretty?  Every time I drive down it it makes me happy.  The wildflowers that are blooming in the ditches, the beautiful blue fall sky, having a good talk with one of the boys- they are all gifts from God, ways He shows His love and care for me, even in this old sin-filled world.

Every good and perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,
who does not change like shifting shadows.
James 1:17

3 comments:

  1. I love those old country roads! Praying for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wandering over here from one of my other blogs I follow. I love your country road. I would try to travel it all the time ;) My daughter and I are reading Ann's book just now. I too need to be reminded to count the blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...