Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Legacy of Adoption


Our family is full of adoption stories.  I have eight adopted cousins, an adopted uncle, and an adopted great-uncle and aunt.  Andy has an adopted uncle and aunt.  I don't doubt that all these adoptions have influenced our own decision to adopt.  I remember when I was a little girl, wishing that someone would drop off a baby in a basket on our porch so we could adopt him or her. (:  I guess the desire started early for me.  I'm so thankful that our parents, grandparents, uncles, and aunts set such a good example for us of showing compassion and love to the fatherless.

My grandma and her siblings- her older
brother and sister were adopted.
(she is on the right)

When I see websites like this one, where you can search through all the children that are waiting to be adopted here in the United States, it just breaks my heart.  When we were waiting to adopt AJ I looked at the waiting children websites sometimes and now, over 2 years later, some of those same kids are still there waiting!  They must feel so sad, knowing that they are on a website and no one wants them. 

Andy and I are starting classes this week to become certified to adopt or do foster care through the state.  We both feel God is leading us down this road, and we are looking forward to what He has for us.  I'm so glad we can trust Him!  Adopting older children or children with special needs has unique challenges and honestly sometimes it really scares me, but God knows it all and He will be there in the future too.

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Proverbs 31:8-9



1 comment:

  1. Carmen, you look so much like your Grandma!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...