Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Faith

 
I think I've had the wrong idea about faith for awhile now.
I kind of just thought faith was the same as trust.
There's a kids' song that goes,
"Faith is just believing, what God says He will do."
And that is true, but it's just part of faith.
I am learning that faith is more than just believing,
faith is acting on what you believe.
 
As the body without the spirit is dead,
so faith without deeds is dead.
James 2:26
 
In Hebrews 11 it says faith is the "evidence of things not seen".
Faith is showing by our actions that we believe
in what we can't see.  Realizing this truth is helping me
as we are waiting for our next child. 
 
Back two years ago, during the summer I kept feeling
over and over again that God wanted us to adopt a girl
with some sort of special needs.  I came up with all kinds
of excuses but whenever I came up with one God would
remind me of a verse or song that would blow my excuses
out of the water.  So as Andy and I discussed it, we decided
that yes, God wanted us to adopt again, and that we should
try to adopt a waiting child.  I remember when I put the application
to adopt through the state in the mailbox I felt such a sense
of peace that I was obeying God and what He wanted us to do.
 
Now, two years later, we still don't have a child, and the
state is really frustrating to work with, as you've read about
here on my blog.  We started to think this spring that this was
crazy and maybe we should quit trying to adopt through the
state and do something different.  But I am realizing that if we
did quit, we wouldn't be showing much faith, would we?
 
I have faith that God wants us to adopt again.  So, therefore,
if I have faith, we need to show that faith by continuing to
look for girls, inquire about them, and submit our homestudy
for them, even though it's hard and sometimes feels hopeless.
God has not opened up any new paths for us, so we will
continue to have faith that this is what He wants for us!
 
(I feel like I should also mention that when you feel like
God is leading you to step out in faith in some certain situation,
it is very important that you make sure what you feel
God is asking you to do lines up with what the Bible teaches.)
 
After the "faith chapter" of Hebrews 11, where we read about
people who did amazing things for God because they had faith
to do what he asked, we read this:
 
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a
great cloud of witnesses,
let us throw off everything that hinders
and the sin that easily entangles,
and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus,
the author and perfecter of our faith,
who for the joy set before him
endured the cross,
scorning its shame,
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men,
so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...