Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Do not lose heart.



This last Sunday our pastor encouraged us to focus on the one thing that God has called us to do in the coming year.  There may be a hundred good ministries we could be involved with, but what is the one that God has called you to do?  For me, my thoughts immediately went to adoption.  Adoption is the ministry that God has called us to do.  Lately though, I have been so frustrated, because although we are willing and waiting to adopt again, nothing is happening, at least that we can see.


Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry,
we do not lose heart.

God's Word is so powerful.  This morning I read 1 Corinthians 4, and it was just what I needed to hear today!  God has given us this ministry of adoption, because of his mercy, so if it is what God has called us to do, we do not need to lose heart.  But, so often I forget!  I am so quick to give in to discouragement and doubt.  These next verses explain what I mean--

But we have this treasure in jars of clay
to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed;
perplexed, but not in despair.

What treasure?  The treasure of salvation and the good news of Jesus, which we are sharing with our children.  Yes, it's in a clay jar.  Definitely not in a crystal goblet.  But when we are so weak and imperfect, God's power shines through that much clearer!  He keeps us from being crushed and in despair when hard things happen.  Yes, I am hard pressed and perplexed today.  Why, if there are so many children waiting to be adopted, are we not able to adopt even one?  It is very perplexing.  Why do our children have to face so many hard things because of their past?  Life presses hard on us sometimes.  But it cannot crush us, because we have the power of God in our lives!

Therefore, we do not lose heart.
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us
an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.

Oh, to keep an eternal perspective.  There are so many distractions in this world that keep our focus on our troubles and not on eternity.  But when we fix our eyes on the Lord, everything comes into focus.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.
For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

God, please help us keep our eyes on you.  The verses are all from 1 Corinthians 4, it is an encouraging chapter, I'd encourage you to read the whole thing!


1 comment:

  1. I sooo love those verses! I'm trusting that the Lord will work out His calling in your life this year and praying that He keeps giving you grace and faith for each day of the wait. Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful words that apply to me in my issues today and to all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...