Thursday, July 12, 2012

What will they say about me?

Andy and I went on a date last weekend and
I got LA to take our picture before we left.

This morning we went to the funeral of a lady from our church, she was our friends' mom.  I did not know her that well but her children all spoke very well of her and wished that she could have lived longer so they could have had more opportunity to learn from her.  She was a strong Christian who did her best to follow the Lord. 

It made me wonder what people might say about me at my funeral?  What kind of legacy are Andy and I leaving for our children?  These are good questions to ask every once in a while, to make sure we are on the right track!  I have been blessed with a long line of Godly examples in my family, and as I thought about this today I was reminded of this lady, Marie.  She was my Great-great-great Grandma.  She was born in West Prussia in 1827 and had four sons and one daughter. In 1876 she moved to Russia, then moved to Asia in 1880, and then on to America in 1884.  All of this moving around was because they were Mennonites looking for religious freedom.  The following is from her journal.
So we lived with joys and sorrows, until April 9, 1866, when my dear husband passed away after an 11 day illness following a stroke.  So I remained alone with my orphans.  But God did not forsake me...  On June 4th 1868, I was married to Heinrich, but he too passed away on January 22, 1873...  Sometimes I feel forsaken by God and all who were dear to me.  But I thank God for His discipline for it is for our good.  I pray God to grant me grace that I may appear with my children before His throne and be able to say: "Lord, here am I, and those whom Thou hast given to me. Not a one of them is lost."  O God, grant me this grace.

Her life was very difficult, but her trust in God was strong!  I am thankful for her example.  There are many others I could write about too, God has blessed us with a strong Christian family, and that is a blessing we are very grateful for.  We pray daily that our children will follow the Lord their whole lives as well.  Then one day we will all be together forever, in heaven!

Psalm 145:4-5
One generation will commend your works to another;
they will tell of your mighty acts.
They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty,
and I will meditate on your wonderful works.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...