Friday, July 20, 2012

Lots of tomatoes = spaghetti for supper!


All the heat and drought this summer hasn't hurt our tomatoes any!  They are producing like crazy.  We can't keep up eating them so I had to cook some up for the freezer this week.  On Monday I did some diced tomatoes and today I made some tomato sauce.  If I was doing this to save money my time wasn't worth much!  But I guess it does give you a sense of accomplishment anyhow. 

While I was looking for a recipe for tomato sauce I found my Grandma's old Bell Canning Book from 1941.  It's falling apart and has her notes of which recipe was good and the year she made it.  The inside front cover has this lady admiring all her jars of who knows what.  Does anybody can like that anymore?


Well, with all that tomato sauce I decided to make spaghetti for supper.  I made this recipe up back when we were first married and we have eaten a lot of it over the years!  In case you would like to try a new spaghetti recipe, here's our family's favorite.

Carmen's Spaghetti

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
1 16 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 11 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano

Brown ground beef with diced onion.  Drain and add remaining ingredients.  Simmer for 10-20 minutes.  Serve with 1 lb. spaghetti noodles, cooked.  Sprinkle with Parmesan and shredded cheese if desired. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't can like that anymore, but I always look like that lady in the picture whenever I take down my tomato sauce!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...