Monday, August 15, 2016

Hoosier Cabinet


For a while now I have been on the lookout for a Hoosier Cabinet for our kitchen.  I wanted one that was in good shape so I could actually use it for a baking center.  So many of them have peeling paint or doors missing so I was very pleased to find this one on craigslist recently!  The enamel table top pulls out so I can roll out pizza crusts or cinnamon rolls easily. 


 My mixer stores in the large cupboard on the bottom and although it does have a flour storage bin inside I am not using it because it's a little rusty inside.  I haven't decided if I will buy a new one or not yet.


Of course it's fun to decorate the top, I used some of my Grandma's vintage kitchen utensils and an Albert Anker print and nesting chickens.



Here are a few interesting ads for Hoosier cabinets from about 100 years ago.  I think it's funny how they claimed to save steps for women, to give them health, youth, good looks, strength and time, and nowadays the trend is to wear a step counter to try and take as many steps as possible!




I guess my life should just be one big holiday now that I have a Hoosier too!  Haha! (:

I'm joining No Place Like Home




1 comment:

  1. My friend has her grandmother's hoosier and it really is an unusual piece. Yours is really nice and you have decorated it so cute on top. You have a piece of history in your kitchen and I'm so glad you've shared it with us. The ads are really fun too. I know you will enjoy having the hoosier in your home. Thank you for sharing with us and I hope you are having a lovely summer.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...