Thursday, April 10, 2014

New Roses!!

Over the past year I decided I needed more roses- so this spring I ordered some and they were delivered today!  So exciting! (:  Of course, they are all pink--




I ordered them from Heirloom Roses, and after ordering I was looking over the roses at Walmart, and they looked pretty good and were about 1/5 the price, so I decided to get one and compare which grows better.



One of the new roses that came today is a Lady Jane Grey.  I love how roses have names!  But I didn't know who Lady Jane Grey was so I decided to look her up and it's really a pretty interesting story. 



Lady Jane Grey, of royal blood, lived in England back in the 1500's.  When the Protestant king, Edward VI, was dying, she and her young husband were used by their parents to try to keep the kingdom away from Edward's Catholic half-sister, Mary Tudor.  On Edward's deathbed, Jane's father-in-law got him to proclaim Jane as queen.  She was just sixteen years old.  This didn't settle well with the people, however, and nine days later Mary arrived and was proclaimed queen instead.  Lady Jane and her husband's parents all forsook the young couple, and they were imprisoned by the new Queen Mary in the Tower of London.  They were tried for high treason and condemned to death.  Lady Jane watched her husband be carried away to be beheaded and watched his body return before it was her turn.  Before her execution, she said-



"Good people, I am come hither to die, and by a law I am condemned to the same. The fact, indeed, against the Queen's highness was unlawful, and the consenting thereunto by me: but touching the procurement and desire thereof by me or on my behalf, I do wash my hands thereof in innocency, before God, and the face of you, good Christian people, this day."




Then she recited Psalm 51, told her executioner she forgave him, and blindfolded herself.  As she lay with her head on the block, she said, "Lord, into thy hands I commend my spirit!"



Such a sad ending for a young girl.  If you want to read the whole story, it is here.



When my rose blooms I will have to show it to you.



In other news, I recently added some doll clothes to my etsy shop, so feel free to stop by and check it out!  The link is in the sidebar.  Thanks--






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...