Saturday, January 5, 2013

Some thoughts on Lincoln and the present time

Andy and I went to see the movie, Lincoln, this week, and I couldn't help comparing the situation of those days, 150 years ago, to our present situation.  If you haven't seen the movie, it is very interesting and tells the story of how the 13th amendment to abolish slavery was passed.  Abraham Lincoln stood by his conviction of the evils of slavery, even though it meant that the war lasted longer.

People of those days were so blinded to their prejudice and injustice towards Blacks.  They used the argument that Blacks were less human than Whites to justify their use of them as slaves.  This picture breaks my heart.

Don't we do the same thing now?  I don't know how many times I've heard the argument that the unborn aren't really human.  They have to be born and breathe their first breath of air to be alive.  It's crazy!  People use the exact same argument to justify the killing of babies that they used to justify slavery.  This must stop now.  I can only hope that it doesn't take a civil war for the blinders to come off this time.
~10 week old baby~

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Proverbs 31:8-9

5 comments:

  1. I know your heart is broken, because you are very close to this. I felt the same way after seeing the movie "Amazing Grace". I agree with you that world history is filled with information on the inhumane treatment of people of many colors and classes,especially Jews and Christians. Many white people were abolitionists, using all their resources and putting themselves at risk to help end slavery. I'm not making light of bigotry, but it does exceed the boundary of black and white. The poor were put into workhouses and prisons in England in the 17th and 18 centuries. Look at the murder going on in Africa constantly between black people of different tribes. See how the Mexicans, Incas and Mayans were exploited by the Spanish. Ad long as we have records, someone has lorded themselves over others.
    Today, many people of all colors are involved in the battle to end abortion. This too is a moral battle. People who don't know God have a very limited moral compass and are easily led to believe Satan's lies. They have no compassion.
    The church must bear a great deal of the responsibility for this.If the church was as dedicated to stopping abortion as it was slavery, perhaps this horrible practice would have ended long ago. Thanks for your post.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said and a moment of tears for me. That picture of the 10 week old is exactly what our two sweet babies looked like that I had following Taryn. I don't think it is a common way to miscarry but I delivered our sweet babies complete and floating around in the sack just as this baby is. The image is one that I carry in my heart but now seeing it again is such a reminder of that hurt but also the awe. I remember Derek looking at our baby and saying, "If only people knew. There is no way they could say a fetus isn't a life." Even he was shocked at God had put together in just 10 weeks. It has forever changed us and we will continue to "speak for those who cannot speak for themselves."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I made you cry- each life is so precious and I can't imagine how it must have felt to see your sweet babies. Makes us look forward to heaven- no more tears, sorrow or pain. (:

      Delete
  3. My thoughts exactly as I've studied the Civil War this year with my homeschooled kids and as my husband and I saw Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - I hit publish to soon. I wanted to mention that I came over from Lisa's blog and have enjoyed reading some of your posts.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...