Thursday, October 15, 2015

Abiding

Sometimes joy is hard to find.
 
But isn't the Christian life supposed to be full of joy?
I mean, it is one of the fruits of the Spirit after all.
 
 
A few months ago I couldn't find my joy.  Here I've been a Christian for 35 years and I still don't know how to find joy?  But God is slowly teaching me the secret to joy-- it is to simply abide in Him.  Listen to these words of Jesus.
 
Remain in me, and I will remain in you.
No branch can bear fruit by itself;
it must remain in the vine.
Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
John 15:4

 
It's amazing, when God wants me to get something he hits me with it over and over till it finally registers, and that's how I've felt lately.  Abiding in Jesus brings such rest- it's like we just sit in his hands and relax while he does the work.  But it does take total surrender of our will to his.  I feel like I'm on the brink of understanding it all, but I certainly haven't mastered it.

 
"Jesus, I am resting,
Resting in the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
 
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole."
~Jean Sophia Pigott~

 
Sometimes I have felt like having joy is all up to me, like I need to just fix my attitude or something.  But I don't have the strength to do that.  Thankfully, I think I have been wrong.  If I am totally surrendered to God, and am letting Him take total control, I won't have to worry, no matter what happens, because God is completely trustworthy.  I just need to be still and let him handle my problems.
 
Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...