Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Garden Favorites + Fresh Salsa Recipe

 
We are in our gardening prime right now!  It's not too hot yet, so the weeds are still at a minimum, we've had the third wettest May on record, so I haven't had to water all month, and everything is so very green!  The kids love being able to head out there for a snack whenever they want.  I thought I'd share a few of my favorite things to grow in the garden with you all, they are pictured below.

 
Our strawberry patch has grown bigger and bigger the last couple years and now it takes up about a third of our garden, but that's ok, because we prefer strawberries over green beans any day! (:
 
Sugar snap peas are another favorite, they were introduced to me by my Grandma, who grew them in her garden.  They make a fun snack and are great in stir fry's, if any ever make it inside!
 
Later in the summer a big favorite is all the fixings for fresh salsa!  We have cilantro ready now, which reminds me I need to plant some more so we have another batch ready when the tomatoes finally ripen.  This year I planted more tomatoes than ever, and I also always plant a few hot peppers.  I've included my recipe for fresh salsa that I received from a friend, back when we lived in Tucson, so it's authentic. (:
 
Fresh Garden Salsa
 
3-4 ripe tomatoes, diced
2 hot peppers, seeded and diced
1/4 c. shredded cilantro
1/4 c. diced onion
garlic salt
salt
 
You can adjust this to taste, of course, some people like more pepper and some less.  You have to put in quite a bit of garlic salt and salt, but adjust it to your liking!

I'm joining Home and Garden Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...